How to download and apply new fonts
Windows OS comes with a wide variety of fonts preinstalled. However, there are thousands of other fonts also available in various languages that you can download and install as per your convenience. When you need a new font, you would need to download them and then install on your Windows-based device. Follow the steps given below to install and apply new fonts:
- Click “WIN + X” and go to Control Panel. Click on “Appearance and Personalization” and open “Fonts”.
- Click “File”, and then click “Install New Font”. If you don’t see “File”, press “ALT”. In the “Add Fonts” dialog box, browse for the fonts that you downloaded and select them to install.
- In Windows 8, simply copy the downloaded font and paste them in the font’s folder.
Sometimes, while using Microsoft Excel, you may receive an error message which says
“No more new fonts may be applied. Please close some other documents and try again.”
This happens normally due to the Auto Scale settings. When you try and enter a chart in Microsoft Excel, it enables the auto scale settings. This setting allows charts to use two or more fonts instead of one. But there is a limit to the number of fonts you can use. When the font limitation crosses, you get the error.
You can solve the issue through a simple registry entry, shown as follows:
- Close all running programs and press “WIN + R” to open “Run” dialog. Type “regedit” without quotes and click “OK”.
- Depending on the version of Microsoft Excel that is installed, go to the following registry keys:
- Excel 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Office\15.0\ Excel\Options
- Excel 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Office\14.0\ Excel\Options
- Excel 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\ Excel\Options
- Excel 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
- Excel 2002: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options
- Excel 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Options
- Point to “New” on the Edit menu, and then click “DWORD” Value.
- Type “AutoChartFontScaling”, and then press “ENTER”.
- Click “Modify” on the Edit menu. Type “0” in the Value Data box, and then click “OK”.
- Click “Exit” on the File menu to quit the Registry Editor. This will disable auto scaling in Microsoft Excel. If you need to disable it in the existing charts, follow the steps:
- Select a chart and go to the “Format” menu, click “Selected Chart Area”.
- Click the “Font” tab and clear the Autoscale check box.
- Click “OK”. Repeat these steps for each chart in your workbook.
Weren’t the steps easy to comprehend? Now you can easily apply new fonts to your documents and customize the text as per your choice. In case you have any issue related to hardware or software installed, you can call iYogi techs any time for immediate help.