Update BIOS with WinFlash on ASUS PCs/laptops
BIOS or Basic Input/Output System is low-level system software stored on the motherboard of your computer. Normally, it is not required to update your BIOS, as you may not find a visible difference in the performance of your ASUS PC. Also, sometimes updating your BIOS may lead to instabilities and make it difficult for you to tackle the situation, especially if you aren’t a tech veteran.
ASUS often releases new updates for the BIOS of its computers. In case you are assembling your own system, BIOS comes from the motherboard manufacturer i.e. ASUS. Since, BIOS is motherboard-specific, you would need the BIOS for your exact ASUS computer model (or motherboard) to update.
Updating the BIOS requires practicing caution. They are not big software upgrades, security enhancements or performance improvements. They are just small change logs to fix a bug with an outdated hardware or to add support to a new hardware component.
So, why to update it at all? Well, there are a few compelling scenarios when you may need to update it.
- If you are experiencing bugs in your existing BIOS and the newer version promises the bug fix, you may need to update it. Normally, you would find the BIOS change log on the OEM’s website.
- When a new BIOS update adds a new hardware support function, it supports the new CPU function. If you have bought a CPU that was not released when you bought your PC, you may need to update the BIOS to support it.
Be sure to check the change log for the BIOS updates and verify if your manufacturer has released a compatible version of an update you require. If you are not facing any bugs and do not need any new hardware support, do not update your BIOS unnecessarily, even if your manufacturer has come up with an updated release.
If you are sure that you need to update your BIOS, here, we provide you the step by step process that you can follow. Remember, updating your BIOS on ASUS PCs or laptops requires deep understanding of the genre. Here’re the solution steps:
- Check the exact version of your ASUS model and download the latest BIOS file for that model from the ASUS website.
- Download and install WinFlash Utility from ASUS download site. Check for your correct version of operating system.
- Turn off all running programs and antivirus temporarily before you start the update. Anti-virus programs may interfere in the update process and create instability.
- Start WinFlash and proceed by clicking ‘OK’ on the introduction pop up.
- Browse for the BIOS file you downloaded and select it to open.
- A confirmation box will appear with the message “BIOS file is correct. Click [Flash] to update the BIOS.”
- Click on Flash to start the update process. The progress bar will show you the update status.
- Press ‘Exit’ when the update is complete. Your PC will shut down automatically.
- Press the Power button to start your PC and press ‘F2’ when you see the ASUS logo to go to BIOS.
- Press ‘F9’ to load defaults and then press ‘F10’ to confirm and exit. The system will restart again with the new version of the BIOS.
This way you can be able to update BIOS on your ASUS PC/laptop yourself!
However, if you are still getting issues, call iYogi technicians for immediate tech support for all ASUS related glitches. The iYogi certified team of experts can help you fix the error remotely via Internet or via phone, 24x7.